Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Going To Work

Hello,



Monday the weather report was for some snow, but when I looked at the local Doppler radar it appeared to be going north of us so I was not concerned. About five minutes before I was to leave, snow was pelting down, but nothing was covered yet. I made my way to the garage noting the ice that had appeared on the sidewalk. I took the Subaru which is the car to drive in snowy conditions. That provided a modicum of comfort.



The streets were not bad, but it was much different looking when I got up (It does go uphill.) on the interstate. With much more snow cover. Also it was snowing furiously. I moved with caution and care as were most other drivers. A pickup truck came quite close behind me. I was glad to move to the middle lane as soon as I could as I would need to be in that lane later anywat. Not long after I made that move I glanced in the rear view mirror to see that truck moving into my lane. The next thing I knew it was turning sharply back to the first lane. I kept flipping my eyes from forward travel to watch as the truck came back in my lane. Then it a little bit it did a 360. Three vehicles were coming toward it, but they all seem to have slowed enough not to hit it. In a little bit the truck did some more wild swings before it slammed head first into the cement guard rail. After that I could no longer see it as I had gone around the curve.



I crept to Ely and did not test the claims of this car brand to be superior to others in the snow as I think this was a lot of ice under the snow that was the real danger. I did not slip for which I am grateful. Most of the cars were going very slowly.



That stretch of interstate which has an “S” curve and is up in the air or more like a bridge, has a reputation for being risky in snowy/icy conditions.



This snow squall was over in about an hour, so my drive home was quite a different event. I did see in the paper that snow squalls are quite dangerous and often there are multiple car pile ups. They are now going to post a warning about them. The good thing about them is that they are generally very short lived.



Paula

No comments: