Saturday, December 14, 2019

Squirrels in the Tree




Hello,



Our squirrels are quite athletic and gusty. I watched one leap from the garage roof to the trunk of a tree, spinning around in the air to make the grab for a safe landing. The tree might be about five feet away.



This morning two other squirrels were gnawing on black walnuts while sitting in the walnut tree. Their tails were tucked up against their backs with an artistic curl at the end. Very nice! I knew that if I were outside I would have been able to hear their teeth scratching away at the tough walnut shell. In the meantime the leaping squirrel snuck up the tree trunk before it charged out on the limb holding the lowest gnawing squirrel. Gnawing squirrel stopped scraping and immediately jumped to another nearby branch. The following squirrel kept at it for a little while before it quit in disgust or despair. For reasons not known to me it never when after the squirrel that was higher in the tree.



Our neighbor feeds the squirrels corn on the cob. Yesterday I saw him put two ears in two separate holders. It was not long before an enterprising squirrel grabbed a cob and zoomed up a tree, on our garage roof, onto the board which links the two garages on our property (We call it the squirrel super highway.), before settling on the farther garage to strip the cob of corn. That cob is still there, but no corn on it that I can see.



Some years, squirrels spend quite a lot of time in the front looking in our office window. They seem to have changed locations as I rarely see them here. I miss them.



Paula

No comments: