Saturday, June 15, 2019

Outdoor adventures

Hello,



This morning early I hung out clothes. It seemed like it might rain, but it did not. Most things dried except for a few that had thicker spots. That was all good.



In the afternoon I drove to Ely to pick service berries. Unfortunately the birds beat me to all but a handful. When I had checked on Thursday after work, I thought Saturday would be the best time. Wrong. Hungry birds do not wait for total ripeness. It was cool because I saw a bird eating away in the top of the tree. It gave a clear view of how it stretched to get the entire berry in its mouth. I decided it was ok because birds get hungry too and they cannot go to the grocery store to buy anything.



Another friend said, “Come pick our strawberries while we are gone.”



They also were not quite as plentiful as I had thought they might be. I wonder if someone else is also picking although she had not mentioned it. They are delicious. It is like the finest thing to have these strawberries fresh from the vine. I thought about my childhood. I enjoyed them then too, but certainly grumbled about the work involved. Now I am just grateful.



Tonight I decided to take a long walk even thought the air was still, however the dark clouds were quite high. Later lower clouds blew in as well as some thunder and lightning. When I was about four or five blocks I left the bike/walking trail and took to the sidewalk because it would be shorter. When I was three blocks away the rain started coming down. I picked up the pace. As the drops became larger and more profuse I even started to run from time to time. First I covered my pocket which held the phone and finally I doubled the pocket over to put more fabric between the phone and the rain. I was so happy to step onto the porch where I paced back and forth to help my heart rate come down in a more normal beat.



Paula

No comments: