Monday, June 24, 2019

Busy At Work

Hello,



Sometimes I wonder why I feel so busy at work. Usually the people count tells a story. Saturday is usually a quieter day so I had planned to do quite a lot of cataloging. It mostly did not happen. When I wrote the count down at the end of the day, learned that 95 people had been in during my seven hour shift. During the week when there are many programs going on the foot traffic is often more than 200 persons. One thing about those times is that there are usually at least two of us working and sometimes three. A small town library can be a vibrant place. I am happy to be working there. It gives me such a sense of purpose.



A week or so ago, I had catalogued a number of books as had my boss. The holes on that shelf had gotten bigger, but there were still a number of items that required attention. When I came on Saturday, all the holes were filled with another shipment of new items, mostly books. If someone has requested books, they are catalogue first. Then I move on to the books that are just newly released.



I have to confess that I put the harder to catalogue items aside so I can get something off the shelf more quickly. It is not so much fun to think about doing those things which do not have records easily found. It might take me 10-15 minutes do process a book for which I can find the record. If I cannot find the record it will take more like 30 minutes. As you can see, more books move when I do the easy stuff. Patrons seem to be drawn to the newer items so that is my rational for doing it this way.



Paula

No comments: