Sunday, June 23, 2019

Things To Think About

Hello,



Last week when getting my hair cut, I learned that the person cutting my hair worked a second job. For two nights of the week she spent the night in a juvenile home keeping watch over the children, making sure they were ok and that they were not trying to run away. She had gotten off work at 4:30 am and arrived to cut hair at or before 9:00 am. That sounds like a lot of time at work to me, but she also sounded so committed to helping these children navigate this part of their lives.



A family of four children comes to the library for almost all of the summer programming. We have never seen the parents. The oldest daughter seems to be in charge and she is old enough at 16. These children are so “needy” always asking for this and that. They will certainly get every prize that it is possible for them to acquire. They do not believe in waiting their turn or letting anyone get ahead of them. We, as a staff, have become quite tired of dealing with them even though we feel concern for them. It seems as if they are raising themselves.



After putting a new book in the system I called the person who had requested it. The woman asked, “What book is it?”



She burst out laughing when I told her the title, “Super Diaper Baby 2: the invasion of the potty snatchers.”



Later I was there when her husband came to check out the book. When he saw the title he also burst out laughing. It was great to spread joy with one book without anyone reading the book. I did a lot of smiling.



Paula

No comments: