Sunday, June 16, 2019

Mulberries

Hello,



This afternoon Leroy and I went out to pick mulberries. Neither of our families ate mulberries even though they lived where they grew in abundance. We thought about the last time Miriam’s family was here. I guess they liked the berries, but I know that they, especially Andy and Nora, liked picking them. Those two climbed the fence and the tree to the point where I was concerned for their safety. I believe they thought it was an adventure.



Today we stayed firmly on the ground and got almost ¾ of a gallon. It was quite fine picking. We stopped before we gathered all that were possible. Leroy especially wanted to get home because he had worked all morning and is working again this evening. A nap was calling, but before the nap he washed and cleaned all of the berries. I put them on cookie sheets in the freezer. Just a bit ago they rolled into a zip lock bag from which we can retrieve them in the winter.



Leroy and I like them on our morning oatmeal and yogurt snacks. They add a nice touch of sweetness. Some years I have had rhubarb and will make a rhubarb mulberry crisp with almost no added sugar because the mulberries are so sweet. I did not freeze any rhubarb this year, hence no crisp.



We are blessed to harvest this fruit that almost no one else wants. If you can believe everything you read on the Internet, we know that they have multiple health benefits including iron which is rare in fruits. Seems to me many valuable foods are passed up by much of the USA citizenry. Too much work, not marketable, or no one knows about it?



Paula 

No comments: