Monday, February 25, 2019

Serious Walking

Hello,



Walking to church yesterday took some serious concentration. There was a combination of cold, ice, water, wind, and snow. The entire winter scene was presented in one day. Leroy has some grippers that he can clip on his boots which give great traction. I wore my shorter, better gripping boots that are not so water proof. Most of the water we saw was under the ice. I stepped carefully on that ice hoping it would be strong enough to hold my weight. Much of the ice in street pot holes was there because of the salt that had been added. The temp was above zero, but by the time I got to church my legs were quite cold.



On the way home we saw a girl trying to get her car out of the parking spot. She was attacking the strangle hold of ice with a pointed shovel. You can tell Leroy and I are not college students. We were bundled to the max. This girl had no hat, gloves, or coat. Her bright red skin testified to some cold. We tried to push her car. With the first rev of the front wheel, water sprayed in my face and down my coat. We tried to chop off some of the ice in the back to no avail. We pushed some more, but left in defeat.



On the way back to church for choir practice, she was still there. We did not offer to help again as it had not worked before. Once again on the way home from church, we could see that her car was gone. Amazing! However as we went past another car the guy rolled down the window and asked if we could help. They also were having trouble with the car stuck in water on ice. The girl, who had on boots that were water proof, stood on the side of the car with the most water. The guy had on sneakers, no water proof there. Leroy and I were on the side with not so much water.



After warnings to be careful, the guy started counting one, two, three, letting us know when he was going to apply the gas. Somehow Leroy, this girl, and I started pushing and releasing on the back of the car with each count. The car started rocking and with the gas it moved out of the hole.



The guy then stopped even though I yelled, “Keep going!”



Sure enough when he tried to move again he could not. We went through the same pushing routine and he went to the end of the block, turned around and came back. They were so happy and grateful for the help. As they said, “We have been trying to get out for an hour! Thank You!”



It was good to give some successful help. Also I think it is good for the college students to see that many of the neighbors are ok people. Some of them consider this an unsafe place to be and just mostly stay on campus. With all this walking and helping I had 12,000 steps. When we went back to church in the evening we actually drove.



Paula

No comments: