Saturday, February 23, 2019

Impulse Buy

Hello,



Yesterday when doing my weekly shopping I spotted a plant that had been promoted as a valentine. Now it was marked down to about half the original cost. I have never had an athurtium plant before. It is rather attractive. The care looked simple: just water once a week and keep out of direct sun. Well, advice on the internet had some additional instructions. It is to be in a hot and humid space. Our living quarters are neither hot nor humid. I assume it will last as long as cut flowers would last. I will enjoy it until it is done.



I did not really need more blooming plants. Four amaryllis flowers are done, but one is still open all the way while four more are getting ready to open. Some violets blossoms are still looking great along with the shamrock. One white cactus flower is ready to open. This morning I notice that the pink Christmas cactus has two more buds. Then of course the four red and two white poinsettias look just delightful. Those flowers always help me to feel good.



Flowers are a nice impulse buy because it is not so much man made although it is transported a great distance from home so that is not so good for the environment. I have a clivia that has bloomed twice in about 12 years. A friend gave me the start. At the school in Slovakia, the clivia plant bloomed every year. It is to be in a cold room and not watered for about three months. Again the temperature does not quite fit the requirements. Oh what to do? Too hot for one and too cold for the other!



Good thing Leroy and I agree on the temperature or at least we can adjust by putting on more clothes or taking off some clothes.



Paula

No comments: