Friday, February 15, 2019

Action Team

Hello,



I applied for and received funding for an action team project from my insurance company. It involved collecting non food items for an organization that has a homeless shelter as well as daily noon meals. I signed my church choir up as my team without asking them first if they wanted to be involved. With a bit of ribbing, they stepped up and donated many items. My car was not totally full, but it was noticeably more crowded. I dropped off those donations on Wednesday. The man who received the items was so happy. He kept saying, “You brought me such good stuff!”



I then told him that I had money to spend and needed his suggestions for the items that would help the most. Many of his suggestions were for cleaning products. His list was not so long, but I knew that I could use the money very easily. I asked my friend Ruth if she would go with me to a store where she has a membership and we could get more items for the money. She enthusiastically said “Yes! We can go in my car because I have a larger vehicle.”



We made the trip this morning, weighting down her car with our purchases. Again the man was so pleased to get all of these items. He told me how much they use of some things and it makes me wonder how they manage. There are four buildings this organization is responsible for. At one of them people can come to do their laundry or take a shower. Some of our gifts were aimed at helping them provide those services.



This organization is also working on the idea of helping people to become independent which is a much longer task than simply handing out food or services. I hope and pray that they can make real progress in those areas.


Paula

No comments: