Sunday, February 24, 2019

Helping Nieghbors

Hello,



Yesterday Leroy and I were out front chopping up the last of the ice on the sidewalk before the next storm. It was in the 30’s so felt very nice and productive. A guy walked up and asked if he could borrow an ice chopper. Leroy, who had our chopper, collected mine which is really our landlord’s and went off with this man. After a bit I thought about going to help shovel. Even though I had seen them turn at the street corner I could not see them when I got to that street. I went back in the house. Much later, Leroy was not home. Then I started to think of things that were not good. I had no idea who this man was or where he lived. Leroy did not have his phone with him. What if he had a heart attack, how would I ever learn about it?



After scolding myself, I tended to other tasks. It was again a long time before the back door finally opened. What a relief! Leroy said that this guy took him almost six blocks away. His mother had called about a neighbor of hers who had ice damming water which was threatening to get in her house. She told her son he was to come over and fix it. Unfortunately his shovel did not do the job.



Leroy said it was a hard job with very thick ice, but this guy attacked it with such vigor that Leroy was afraid he might have a heart attack! Another neighbor came over and helped as well.

Finally they got the job done.



Course then Leroy still had to walk home. But he was happy to have helped out. Sometimes troubles bring out some good connections between people.



Paula

No comments: