Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Safety, Not To Be Taken For Granted


Hello,



Last night I left work four hours early. That was a good thing as it was not too bad on the roads. I did not drive much above 20 or 25 mph. That was especially true on the interstate where I joined a slow crowd. I do not like coming home when there is almost no one on the road, however it was a little unsettling with all of the cars that I met and many in front or behind me. If anyone slipped it could have been very bad. No one hurried around the up in the air “S” curve. When I got to the bottom of my off ramp the traffic light changed so I had to stop. It was a bit of a struggle to get moving once more. Our street was also a challenge, but the alley was even more. I stopped behind the garage and called Leroy to help me shovel, but he had already talked to my boss. He was getting warm clothes on to come out. Getting in the garage was not too difficult.



By noon today the snow had stopped. Even with the wind I headed off to work. The main street in CR was passable. The interstate was clear as was the highway. Troubles began as I got on the Ely Road. I slowed down and gripped the wheel more firmly. About two miles farther I started running into drifts across the road. All at once I must have hit some ice under there and I was sliding. I went into the oncoming lane before I gained control. Luckily there was no one in that lane at that moment. I slowed down and kept going since I was not sure about turning around safely.



At the library my boss told me I could turn right around and go back home. I was so unnerved that I could not face it so I stayed a little over an hour. Reports from other drivers convinced me that I must leave. I again drove very slowly through some drifts that might have been about six inches high. Only a few minor slipping places added to the excitement. Again the highway and interstate were clear, but some snow was drifting in there too. I found the alley difficult to navigate and harder to get the car lined up so I could get up that little steep incline. I managed without hitting the side of the garage, but I considered that a miracle.



When I told Leroy about my trip I ended up crying a bit. Pent up tension or happy to have made it home?



I was a bit disgusted with myself since I know my boss would not have insisted that I come to work. If asked, she would have told me to stay home.



Paula

No comments: