Sunday, March 18, 2018

Popcorn

Hello,



First I have to confess that I do not gravitate to microwave popcorn. We own a stir crazy and I am a big fan of popping corn closer to the old fashioned way.



I like the popcorn brand that I am now keeping in my freezer where I have been told it helps the corn to pop more efficiently. The popcorn is large with few “old maids”. Why do we call unpopped kernels that?



My only complaint about this popcorn is that there are a lot of hulls so I try not to get them caught between my teeth and gum line where they can lodge uncomfortably until extracted.



Once, at the grocery store, I decided to try the store brand. After all this store’s origin was in Iowa so surely they had good popcorn. It did not pop to the great volume that was achieved by the corn that has an Iowa origin. I took it back to the store to get my money back on this inferior product. The money was cheerfully refunded as had been promised even when I told them that the grown in Iowa corn was better.



I remember that my dad grew popcorn some years while I was in college. At school we often made popcorn as a treat. Others would frequently ask where we had gotten the popcorn. I guess Illinois; my home state is close enough to Iowa to grow good corn too. I was always proud to say that it had been homegrown.



On the current bag of popcorn there is a Warning: “Kernels will explode under intense heat.” I am happy to report this is true.



Paula

No comments: