Friday, March 23, 2018

Camping Lantern

Hello,



Last week I bought a camping lantern that was on sale. It required batteries. The next day Leroy and I were out shopping and discovered a lantern with a rechargeable battery. After an extended discussion that seemed like the more practical item since we like the idea of rechargeable. This morning I took the first lantern back and purchased the second. At the self check out station I was astonished to see that the charge was a mere seven dollars because on the shelf the price was listed at something over $20. There was a store worker in the area. I caught her eye, she came over, and we discussed possibilities. “I believe this should have been over $20” I told her.



She looked the slip over and noted that it said the proper brand of lantern. She thought that it was probably on sale and no one had put up a sign.



I brought it home, but I feel a bit guilty as I cannot imagine that the sale price would have been so low. I am still wondering what to do. Should I write the company?



I am a bit ashamed to say that if the difference had stretched in the store’s favor I would have pressed harder for a solution, perhaps even insisting that someone go and check the shelf or check the barcode. I really do not want to gain from a mistake, but part of me really wants to gain. Oh that human nature that I carry around with me has more sides than I like to admit. Stuff down and hide anything that I do not like about myself is one of my operatives from time to time. Leroy, who toes the ethical line much more firmly than I do, did not really comment on what I should do about it. Do I just like to “get by with something” and pretend it never happened.



Once when Leroy was in the seminary, the bank somehow gave us about $10 (This might have gotten a week’s groceries.) more than they should have. When I went back to correct the mistake it became a big time consuming deal of tracking it down as I had brought it up about a week later. It almost seemed that it might have been better if they had not known about it, although they did tell me that it goes on the teller’s record so that person would have been happy to have it corrected.



Paula

No comments: