Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Camping in MN

Hello,

Learning took place on all sides. These children had never camped in a tent before so setting up the tent was a bit of a mystery. Then in the darkness coming back from the bathroom Sophia and Logan ran ahead of Leroy. Logan ran too close to the tent and tripped over a guide line. Skinning his knees when landing. Caused much loud screeching until we could get a good look at in the tent where he huddled on my lap. We did have a first aid kit with us. In the excitement I yelled at Leroy because he forgot where it was in the car. It has been in this spot for a few years. Guess that means we never use it. There were some alcohol wipes in there. I told Logan that it would likely hurt. I would touch it lightly and he could let me know if I should continue. One light touch and he was screaming once more. Instead we just put on some antiseptic ointment and three band aids in several directions. It seemed to be better then. At the visitor center the next morning the woman told him, “You can’t have a good camping experience without some blood, so you must be having a good time.”

Then it was fire time. After a bit of struggle we got the fire to burn, but it needed more oxygen. I was blowing on the fire when Sophia grabbed me from behind. I tipped off balance and managed to swing myself away from the fire. Who knew that I needed to talk about not bumping me around the fire? I thought be careful around the fire was enough advice; along with do not touch the hot dog fork anywhere but the handle.

The kids also had a hard time with the hot dogs changing color. That went for the marshmallows too. We could not find chocolate in their house so they had the treat without, just marshmallows and graham crackers. Sophia said that would be ok, so we did not stop to get chocolate. They seemed to enjoy it which was fine with me. Leroy and I did not want any so they each had two and that produced like a special thing of getting more than usual.

One of our sleeping bags eats socks. There was a sock in there that Sophia declared, “I have never seen that before, but Olivia had some like that.”

One of those UT girls must have a sock without a mate, can you imagine that?


Paula

No comments: