Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My exercise life

Hello,

There have been times in my life when I never much questioned how I should exercise. For instance when I was in college and would come back home to the farm for the summer, I started riding my brother’s bike on the gravel roads which was all I had available. No bike of my own and no paved roads. I would ride eight miles almost every day. It was steep up hill and down in northwestern Illinois close to Wisconsin. It took quite a lot of stamina, skill, and daring just to stay the course. I remember one hill that was especially daunting to go up and almost as challenging to come down without slipping and falling on the gravel.

Much of the time I did not see other vehicles on the road. It was a rather remote place by some standards as I was not close enough to any houses to be seen on the road. I was especially struck by this fact when a pickup truck, complete with three young males I had never seen before, came by. They stopped and tried to engage me in conversation. My heart started racing faster as I realized I could not possible get any help if I needed it. I do not remember the track of the talk, but they finally wearied of the process and moved on. I did not ride for the next few days, but could not stay away from the draw of the wind, solitude, and energy expansion. Fortunately I never saw them again.

Now I wonder where did that person go who risked life and limb to get that feel good feeling of physical release. Instead I have to talk myself into moving more and stretching more. I realize I probably could not do that type of riding today, but I could certainly do more than I am doing. It is a switch in our lives, but now Leroy gets more exercise than I do. It is too bad we cannot give each other the benefits. Wouldn’t it be nice to share?


Paula

No comments: