Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Ready for Christmas?

Hello,

I have been asked by some if I am ready for Christmas. The question is not the problem that the answer is. I usually answer something like “almost” or perhaps, “some things are done”. When really, almost nothing is done, by the standard that many are thinking about.

For instance our decorations will go up next weekend, or perhaps Thursday evening because we do not put them up so far (by American cultural standards) ahead of December 25. I think two weeks ahead is nice. I have not written a Christmas letter, however, Leroy has started to address envelops. What a guy! I do not bake for Christmas so I guess that is done. Although I think Leroy would like to have some krumkaka, a tradition that we learned when he was at seminary. So we will make some of them, but it might be during the Christmas season. Sarah and her girls might like to see what happens when we do that. They will spend the week between Christmas and New Year’s with us.

I have yet to purchase a Christmas present. Leroy is in the same position. My head is busy thinking of possibilities, but nothing has happened. Just now I realized that I have not thought about what to get Leroy. He loves those presents, so I must not forget. Did you notice the plural on that word? It should be more than one for him to experience more contentment.

Am I ready for Christmas? We light the advent candle, open a window on the advent calendar, and read devotions. We are ready for Christmas in terms of contemplation and reflection time, sitting in God’s presence.  The other things will get done in good time or maybe not.


Paula

No comments: