Tuesday, December 16, 2014

My Tummy

Hello,

This morning Leroy asked, “Why does your tummy stick out? You are not over weight.”

Well, I agree with the not overweight. I am perhaps more likely underweight. My reply went like this, “I am not standing as straight as I should, and my core is probably not as strong as it should be.” While making this response I straightened up, sucked in my stomach and looked in the mirror.

Then Leroy went on to add, “It seems many older women have protruding stomachs. Why would that be?” As if I am an expert on older women!

The mysteries of life, but do we really want to contemplate such things? I did not tell Leroy, but I suspect that everything is hanging down inside and it has to go somewhere once it all hits the non giving pelvic bones. The back bone I have does not let it go in that direction so out it must come.

I could not resist a little dig at Leroy and said, “Your stomach has been sticking out since I have known you. It looks better now than it used to. I have always felt that it is out because of poor posture and a weak core.”

Somehow this did not seem like a positive conversation so it was dropped by both participants. I have to confess that I am trying to sit up straighter today. If I were smart I would start doing more exercises that would strengthen my core. But that is just a thought. I am certainly not going to lose weight. I now weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school. I should perhaps build muscle. Not that sizes are the same, but I wear a much smaller size than I used to.


Paula

No comments: