Sunday, August 11, 2013

Windows Washed

Hello,

I am not crazy in love with washing windows, but I do like to live with the result. Leroy and I have been talking about the job for some time. After all we have lived here for a year and a half and only washed the windows once. Last Saturday while Leroy was dealing with the car I washed four windows, the screens, and the sills. In some ways the sills and screens were the dirtiest. Would Leroy notice the clean windows? Not at all, but then he was all hung up on car issues. Monday morning before going to work I washed three more sets in spite of the light rain coming down. Luckily there was no wind so all was good. Did Leroy notice any clean windows now? Life is good when you can look through a clean glass, so no, he did not notice. Tuesday morning I washed the last three window units and enjoyed the great view from all sides.
Yesterday I told Leroy to notice something different. He finally saw the clean pane. The moral is that certain jobs are only noticed when they are not done rather than when completed.

One of the sad things about this week is that we have not had enough rain to dirty the windows. I understand that some parts of the world are more in need than we are, but it is getting to the point that a rain of more than a dribble would be welcome. There was rain predicted for today, but we have not seen it. In fact it was such a nice day that Leroy worked on an attic window; removing it, caulking it, and painting it on both sides. He tells me that it is now getting quite hot in the attic in spite of having the windows open. He also commented that he loves doing little hands-on-jobs that he can complete successfully. There is that feeling of accomplishment. I suppose most renters do not do this type of thing, but I suspect that comes from living so long in parsonages where we were expected to contribute to the overall care of the house even though we were really renters who would move without further benefit from living in the house just as renters do. We were renters of a different stripe. I suspect too, Leroy had that sense of ownership just as much as the rest of the congregation had since he was a member too.


Paula

No comments: