Friday, August 23, 2013

How Did I Do It?

Hello,

As soon as Leroy left for work I headed to the community garden to pick edamame, picked a few, decided the rest needed to grow more,  and ended up picking green beans. The two green bean rows are quite long. After an hour there I realized I needed to go four blocks home to go to the bathroom. On the way I realized that it was a good thing I was doing this in two trips as the beans, zucchini, and summer squash weighed quite a bit. At home I called Leroy to remind him about the gas smell associated with the older car. I was only a block from home when Leroy called to ask me to take the car to the mechanic who would look at it right away.

True to his word he did indeed look at the car right away, declaring, “The O ring was the wrong one for the fuel injector and it was being eaten by the gas.” It took him a little while to get this taken care of.

I ate a snack at home, rested a very short time before starting on my second walk to the garden. The sun is not inclined to stay still; consequently my row was out of the cooling shade. But I picked those beans without grumbling much in my head. By the end I felt that I had accomplished something worthwhile as in a short day or two the beans would be over ripe.

Lunch was in order before I could face snipping off the ends of the beans and snapping them in at least three pieces. As I worked on them I realized that they were very nice beans and was grateful for the chance to have them. I had to find, gather, clean, and count jars. The large pressure cooker was easy to find, but harder to clean. Next time when we store it there will be some protection around it.

I expended a lot of nervous energy getting the beans in the quart jars as I anticipated the possible dangers of using the pressure cooker. Perhaps that would be fear and not nervous energy. At any rate it all went well. They were done before Leroy come home from work, but still in the cooker as it cooled. Did I mention that I was also making bread today? The kitchen was the hot place to be.


Paula

No comments: