Monday, August 19, 2013

Ride to Work

Hello,

I got up in plenty of time to ride to work. Because Leroy was leaving an hour later he helped and stepped aside so I could get ready first. He even made the bed and did the dishes. I hopped on the bike ahead of my goal by ten minutes. In spite of those ten minutes I kept talking to myself about “maintaining speed and no dilly-dallying”. It seems to have worked because I got there in a scant hour. It was a great morning ride once I got past the city streets with traffic going to the farmer’s market. Luckily I was able to skirt that active area.

On the trail there were walkers and runners putting in their morning stint. The cool air and shade made it a truly wonderful awakening experience. I did meet some riders, but not so very many. Even with my faster than usual pace, some passed me with a whisper of wind as they sped on. I was grateful for the few who let me know they are going around so that I do not meander into the other lane. I do use my mirror, but not as steadily as when I am on the streets. I averaged about 12 miles per hour.

Now comes the true confession part of this missive. I packed clothes so I could change at work. I pulled off my bike shorts, in the bathroom of course, when I realized I had forgotten to pack underpants. Oh, no! How would I manage the day? Leroy, as you might recall, forgot his underpants once and called me to the rescue. Unfortunately, no help in sight for me as he was also riding to work on his bike and could not rescue me. I was grateful to be wearing pants instead of a dress or skirt. As it was I was very conscious of this lack of apparel every time I got out of my chair, wondering if anyone could tell, and if so did it matter since I was fully covered. Why do we wear underpants anyway?  After wearing one pair or another for 65 years they are just the thing necessary for me to feel completely put together when out and about.


Paula

No comments: