Friday, August 30, 2013

Cooking Watermelon

Hello,

After work I went to the Ely garden to be greeted by dead squash vines of all stripes. I did pick two butternut squash in spite of the small size and early time. Bugs were crawling all over one of them. I have not cut them yet because I cannot tell if they will be any good and I have other things to eat, including green beans, edamame, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Gardening is not over.

We have now picked three watermelons. All have been good. The one I picked yesterday was hot to the touch in the late afternoon sun. It was still hot when I took it out of the car at home. The watermelon was good even with that applied heat and small size.

I left two in the garden that are about the size of a large grapefruit. Tomorrow we will go pick them or I will if Leroy does not want to do that. It is also the day I will dig potatoes or Leroy will. We will check about picking some of the apples. I have picked some off of the ground and they are getting soft and mealy. Not so good for eating, but fine for applesauce.

Another woman told me she had apples and they were practically cooking on the tree because of the extreme heat and dryness. Generally I do not complain much about the weather, but I am now ready for cooler temps and refreshing rain.

I find it hard to be outside for a long time in these times. The humidity is so high that I notice the clothes take a long time to dry. I also feel tired, could that be the heat? I am glad to have air conditioning at work and at home. However when I notice that some of my neighbors do not have it I feel a little guilty. None of those people are elderly so I hope they are managing.


Paula

No comments: