Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Volunteering

Hello,

Leroy and I are once again delivering neighborhood newsletters. This time only about 160! That might seem like a lot, but the houses are close together so that makes it somewhat easier. Because the blocks are not next to us, I took a little more than an hour to deliver almost 70 of them. We put them on the porch or behind the storm door, or under a weighty object on the front step. Some of these homes must have had fifteen steps to get up to the house. I have new appreciation for the local mail carriers. Course we cannot put the newsletters in the mailbox or even have it touch it. It would be easier just to put it there, but not with a lawsuit from the post office.

Because of the heat or maybe I was just tired, but I thought more than once, “Why did I say I would do this?” Now I do have a sense of accomplishment and besides that I walked about two miles. Since so much of it was hill work it should count for more, right?

I picked a beet the last time in the garden. I will cook it tonight to see if I think they are ready to pick. We probably only have about a dozen. Then the onions look about ready to pull even though they are not so big. I seem to have the ability to grow small onions. At least they are more than twice as large as they were when we put them in the ground, but the tops are drying up now so I dare not leave them much longer.

Tonight I will go pick up my most recent photo collage plus no doubt buy a few things as it is senior day at this store. Will it be impulse buys? I imagine so as I only saw one thing in the ad that I wanted. Surely there is something that I cannot live without waiting for me to get it.

Paula

No comments: