Monday, August 27, 2012

Wet Walk


Hello,

A gentle rain started early Sunday morning. When it was time to start for church it was still falling, however not so much that we could tell inside and had to check outdoors to learn the status. With umbrellas we should be well covered.

Leroy had his blue and white and I had my ancient pink flowered umbrella. It was wonderful to be out in the pattering rain with no breeze behind it. With my dress I wore some dressier leather sandals, shunning my outdoor waterproof walking pair. We had covered less than half the distance when the rain started coming down much harder, but not yet buckets. I complained that my feet and legs were getting quite wet. Leroy suggested we go back and get the car, but I said, “I want to keep going, I will just complain.”

“I wish I had a larger umbrella,” Leroy noted, “I am getting a little wet on the edges.”

As we walked past the Methodist church, I suggested, “Let’s convert.”

I stepped on what I thought was asphalt only to slip and learn it was dark mud. Luckily I did not go down, but it certainly startled me and brought some of the muck between my foot and the sandal. By the time we got to church I had water spots on the bottom skirt of my dress and my arms were tired from carrying the umbrella. Would larger have been better?

It was certainly an adventure. The homeward trip was much easier as the rain had considerably slackened, making it much more fun. I do like walking in the rain, but it is more enjoyable when I am not going somewhere special. My sandals took most of the day to dry. They will be worn many more times as I could clean them easily. I thanked them for good service.

Paula

No comments: