Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chickens


Hello,

Miriam, Olivia, Nora, Leroy and I all arrived at the chicken farm at nine in the cool comfortable morning. Because they could not bring old shoes we slipped bread bags over their feet and secured them with rubber bands making impromptu boots.

Both girls were understandably hesitant to step over the board to get into the pen with these slightly flighty 25 reddish brown pullets. Miriam and I both stepped in holding the hand of one girl. The chickens accepted our presence almost as soon the girls felt safe enough to let go of hands and move around on their own. Then we went into the chicken coop. Again the girls moved close to humans as they crouched down to see the eggs in the four nests. Our hostess assured the girls that they could gather the eggs. Luckily she told them to be careful with the eggs so they did not drop but one. After they had gotten all of the eggs in the nests without a sitting hen, they eyed the last two places where a hen kept guard. Our hostess urged them to stick their hands under as she was sure there would be more eggs under there. These were nice chickens and they would not peck. As a demonstration I put my hand under, but it still seemed scary so I took a little hand and guided it under after that she was comfortable getting all of the eggs that were under this resting lady. I then helped the other little girl in the same way.

They had a great time and a great learning experience as we ate the eggs scrambled for lunch today. It is not often that a city kid gets to be so close to the source of food.

I was so happy to be spending some time out with the chickens. I cannot remember the last time that I was in a chicken house. I both liked the chickens and found them to be both chore and fascination when I was growing up with them.

Paula

No comments: