Monday, August 13, 2012

Horses


Hello,

After we gathered every egg in sight and out of sight, we said good-bye to the chickens, climbed carefully out of the pen, took off the boot bags, and moved on to the apple tree. Our hostess graciously told Olivia and Nora that they could pick up apples from the ground and feed them to the horses that board with her. When their little blue buckets were full we tromped off through the pasture avoiding horse poop on the way to the enclosure that was the horse home. Because it has been so dry they have to move the horses around to give the grass/weeds a chance to revive. Thankfully some grasses are indeed drought resistant.

Two of the horses quickly realized that there might be treats in store and they quickly moved up to the fence. These animals seemed quite large when you stare up at them as did this five year old and four year old. I asked, “Shall I show you how to hold your hand so the horse can just eat off of it?”

This is another experience that I have not had in years, but I trusted that they would not bite strangers if I held my hand flat. Just like the chickens these were delicate animals around humans. With just a slight tickle of lips the first one grabbed an apple. Nora tried holding an apple up, but the horses neck did not reach so far over the metal gate as to get to her hand. I then lifted her up and we had a successful feed.

Olivia also wanted to be lifted, but she is quite a bit heavier. “Come over here where the fence is lower and then the horses can reach your hand.” I suggested.

That worked out quite well. Both girls soon emptied their buckets and turned to pulling up some of the taller grass and offering that to these eager eaters.

All in all this was a most successful farm visit. I am so happy that I thought of it. I miss being around animals even if I do live with Leroy.

Paula

No comments: