Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What a Day!

Salt Lake City

Hello,

Miriam had caught a bug in Nora’s hair, on Sunday, Monday, and again today. Now it took on more seriousness. Earlier, I had smashed a small bug when she was lying on the bathroom floor getting her pajamas on. I do not remember what day that was. Miriam even captured two of them this morning. We put them in a zip lock bag for future identification purposes. They appeared to have wings.

The Dr. who said, “Go ahead and do the head lice treatment even though it sounds a little different.” I put all of Nora’s bedding in the wash. Then I realized that Nora takes her nap in bed with Leroy or I. So I stripped that bed too, but just put the stuff outside. After hearing what the Dr. said, we decided that all of those things needed washing too. After Miriam and the girls came home, we started the shampooing even though it was lunch time. Miriam found a few more bugs and I saw the nits. We think we have mutant lice as they do not seem to move fast, the appearance is different than expected, and the girls have not been scratching their heads. When the girls had finally had lunch and gone to bed for their naps, Miriam checked my head, immediately finding and catching a bug. I checked her head, did not see any bugs, but was sure that some nits were in residence. Leroy is envied by us, because of his baldness no bugs can lurk in the sparse growth.

There is a lot of work to applying the shampoo, waiting, rinsing, lathering, rinsing, gelling, combing, and nitpicking. Shaving the head does seem attractive from time to time. Then there is all the work of laundering all of the bedding, some stuffed animals, bagging things that cannot be laundered, spraying the stuffed furniture, and vacuuming.

I said I was grateful that we have the chance to get the extraction kit, but Miriam was not so sure she would rather not have to do any of it. I am also grateful that we had not left and spread these bugs around to more places. We will be staying here at least one more day, maybe two.

On a positive note, Leroy does have an in person interview in Cedar Rapids, IA on Wednesday of next week so we will be back for that even if we do have to treat my head drastically.

Andy is out of town and because he has a nice head of hair we suspect he has these visitors too. His head has been close to Miriam and the girls. I am sure he feels itchy too. It is amazing how much I itch now when I did not before. Even Leroy thinks his head is itchy and he had me check it the second time.

Andy will have to be treated as soon as he gets home even though it will be a bit late. At least his hair is short making it easier to comb.

Paula

No comments: