Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lambs

Edgewood, IL

Hello,

This morning we were privileged to see three new baby lambs. One was born during the night and the twins put in appearance mid morning. Leroy and I were both able to hold the older lamb. Mom was nervous, but she did not protest much.

We did not hold either of the twins because my sister said they were still a bit wet and therefore too new. I can say that the wool on the newborns feels almost like bubbles on their backs. It also seems that these new creatures might be cold, but they were not shivering much, especially after the addition of a bit more straw in their space.

We have been picking out black walnuts. It goes fairly fast with a group of people visiting. In my home when I was young we spent winter evenings at this task. Certainly we like the resulting baked items that include the walnuts and hickory nuts.

There was freezing rain during the night so we did not walk this morning, but took a nice walk in the afternoon after the main road was clear of ice. It was harder to walk on the sidewalk by the house so we walked on the crackling grass and I held on to the fence some of the time.

While I was at Miriam’s house I made a crisp with apples and cranberries. No recipe just my idea of what would work. Carolyn had a recipe for such a creation. It was good too. The resulting dish was not too sour or too sweet. I certainly like that.


Paula

No comments: