Friday, January 13, 2012

Almost Done

Salt Lake City

Hello,

I believe that I have put the last load into the dryer. At least the last lice load. We might wash some of the things we are wearing at this moment, but I believe I have corralled everything that is going to go in because of possible infestation. There are two very large plastic bags with things in them that will not go into the washer or the dryer. Those bags will remain sealed up in the basement for a month at least. Hopefully all will be well at that point. We have certainly put forth our best effort. We are again tired. Both Miriam and I have had periods of laughing hysterically. That helps carry us through.

At the girls’ school there was another child with head lice, but in Olivia’s room instead of Nora’s. We think that is so interesting because Nora was the one who had the largest crop of both live bugs and eggs. She also shares a coat cubby with another student and we thought for sure that girl would be the one to have them. Who can out smart bugs?

Last night I woke to a soft feeling fluttering across my face. I opened startled eyes to see the dark outline of Olivia. As soon as I whispered, “What?’ she responded, “I’m scared.”

I drew back the covers; she scrambled up, tucked herself against me, and seemed to fall promptly back to sleep. I however did not get to sleep soon. I was back to back with Leroy and tummy to back with Olivia. Then I had to go the bathroom. I suspect that woke Olivia up but soon her breathing indicated that she was sleeping once more. I could barely move. After what seemed like forever, I got up and went to her bedroom where I turned off the night light before getting into bed and going to sleep promptly.

There will not be many more nights like this one as we are leaving in the morning for our trip back to Iowa. Tomorrow night we will be somewhere in the middle of Nebraska. We will feel sadness and relief. The girls have expressed regret and some “when are you leaving sentiment” almost as if they were ready toos.

Paula

No comments: