Saturday, January 14, 2012

On the road Again

Ogallala, NE

Hello,

Leroy and I have made it to the end of the first leg of our journey back to Iowa. Seems like I ought to be saying home, but there is not such spot that I can name. It amazes me that this has been true for four months now. It is both difficult and easy after all this time. We are safe, we are ok, but we are not settled.

Our drive was mostly uneventful with plenty of sunshine. The interstate is full of trucks with just the few cars who want to travel from one spot to another. Much of the time it was just us and the trucks.  There was snow in Wyoming especially when we were above 8,000 feet. Now in Nebraska it is just brown and windblown.

The wind in Wyoming was gusting up to 50 mph so they were warning light trailers to stay off the road. At one point I did see a trailer that was attached to a pickup lying in the ditch on its side. I was happy when they lowered that wind warning to 40 mph. I believe it was behind us much of the time. At a gas station a guy held the door for me. I commented on the wind and he said, “Yes, it is ruining my fuel consumption goal.”

We were fortunate that the wind was mostly behind us pushing us along and saving us gas. I did notice the wind when it returned after being blocked from the road by some rock formation. It could blow us sideways a little.

The scariest moment came when a semi passed me followed by a car. The car wanted to pass the semi and was impatient when the truck did not move to the right fast enough. He signaled to move almost immediately in front of me. As that was happening, the truck also started to move into the same piece of earth and space. I slowed down as did the car which swerved back into the left lane. It could have involved us too had these two met.

We believe we saw a bald eagle today as well as two antelopes. Otherwise there was not much animal life.

Paula

No comments: