Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Errands to Run

January 17, 2012

Hello,

It rained and snowed a little last night. Leroy and I took a short walk this morning. The surface was not as noticeable as the strong wind buffeting us about. We walked under a mile and felt that it was a long distance. It is noticeable that we did not have a dog and a three year old with us. Also no little girls have been disturbing our sleep at night. Would you believe we miss that?

Our first stop this morning was to get my driver’s license renewed. It was not a big deal: just have my picture taken, answer some questions, take a vision test, and pay money.

I went from having my best picture on a license to having my worst. Could I have put this off indefinitely I would have been happier. Now I look like death warmed over. I had no idea I looked like that without glasses. Also my hair looked almost good before I left the house, but the wind rearranged it every time I stepped out of the car. Wind is not recommended as a hairdresser.

We are using Leroy’s sister’s house as our permanent address so I had to have the address in front of me since it is not in my memory. At least they did not ask my any other questions that I could not answer.  Leroy, who believes in following the letter of the law, had the address changed on his license. Consequently neither of us has a “good” plastic license, just the paper one until the new ones come to his sister’s house. Hopefully they will come while we are in the neighborhood. We plan to visit my sister for about a week before we come back this way.

The vision test was a little unnerving for me because I do not feel that I see as well as I should, but I passed wearing glasses. I could not really see the right end of the line, guessed. I suspect that is because of the cataract in my right eye. It is also a problem for me since I am generally unsure of right and left and I had to indicate the direction of a blinking light. My hesitation came from evaluating the right or left response rather than where the light was.

Paying the money was quite easy. We are good at doing that. Certainly this is a skill we have honed a long time ago.

Paula

No comments: