Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wanted

Hello,

The phone rings and I hear, “We want you to know that our cable service is the best and it would so fit your needs.” Again I heard, “this is for State Representative… and your vote would be appreciated.” Then there is the call for my credit card rating. Then there is someone who calls with a heavily accented voice and would like me to know that I can get money that is owed to me, would I like the money? My reply is, “No thank you,” and I calmly hang up. I could be penniless in short order.

Then there are ads in the paper or mail. Every day brings an ad with the lowest sale prices of the season, none lower. I think the bottom is gone. I can not complain that I am not wanted in my new community. All want my money one way or another.

Last night, Leroy had his first confirmation lock-in at the church. It was a little different experience for him since others took care of most of the details. Some had been planned before he got here. He is used to doing a good share of it himself. “How did that go for you,” I wondered.

“It was ok,” he replied, “I would have run it a little bit tighter, but that is not a problem.”

He is now getting used to the idea that someone else will do it, but that has been an unanticipated adjustment.

I sent him along with some grapes and apples and an admonition not to eat much junk.

He reported that all of the grapes and apples were eaten and maybe even appreciated. I could have sent more. Sometimes I hear people complaining about the junk that kids eat, but it is hard if good things are not provided. Seems to me that choices are often limited by what is available.

Paula

No comments: