Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Buying Club

Hello,

Many years ago we belonged to a buying club. This meant that we could buy health foods at a discount. Many of them were purchased in bulk and divided among members. If no one else wanted the particular item then you either had to buy all of it or forgo the purchase.

We like molasses. No one else wanted blackstrap molasses so we bought the entire five gallons, or maybe it was a smaller amount. It was quite a lot of molasses. I had put some in used and cleaned ice cream buckets.

At this same era Leroy changed the oil in the car. He saw one of these ice cream buckets half full, thinking it was his with oil in it he proceeded to fill it with used car oil. Needless to say we did not eat that molasses. We decided that it was a blessing he had not, thinking it was oil, poured the molasses in the car.

We are back in a buying club. Now however, people do not buy so many unprocessed things. I am the only one who wants sesame seeds, soy flour, and alfalfa seeds. The alfalfa seeds are for sprouting. I purchased five pounds all by myself. I am not sure but I think this is a two year supply if I am lucky otherwise it might be enough for 3-5 years. Soon Leroy and I will be sprouting.

I did start some sprouts yesterday and they are growing. That is good. I did have to look up some directions because it had been so long since I had done this. Just think when I did it before I could not have used the internet, but would have had to ask someone or checked at the library. Life has changed.

There is a church group here called the Senior Saints. The noon meeting has pot luck as the focal point. I was quite impressed that there were only two dishes that were something other than veggies. Is this my kind of group or what? Course there was one person who only ate small amounts of two things because it was so many vegetable choices.

Paula

No comments: