Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Impulse Buy

Hello,

On my list of stops were the library, a drug store, and two grocery stores. The library was there because I had been notified that a book I had requested had come in. Now the problem was that I would not be able to go on my regular days of Thursday or Friday. I might get there on Monday but if not they would put it back in circulation. By looking at the map I realized I could make a rather large box on my trip around town and it would all make sense.

Leroy said, “I want to come too since I have to work tonight.” The afternoon was the perfect time even though the wind was strong, temperatures were low, and some rain was falling from time to time.

All went according to plan, but at one of the grocery stores I noticed in the checkout line, the man behind me had a poinsettia.

“Why didn’t I see them?” I wondered, “And where were they?”

Good thing I had Leroy with me because he spotted them. He looked and saw the price was a mere $3.50. I immediately ran over and got one. It is perhaps not the largest in the world with only five blossoms, but it is a brilliant red and vigorous looking. I am so pleased and excited to have it. Blessed again in an unexpected way.

There was a time in my life when I was not thrilled with poinsettias. I even wondered what all the fuss was about.

When we lived in Missouri Valley the funeral home would give the ministers candy for Christmas. Because I was not into eating that or having my children eat it I always gave it away. One year I had decided to let us eat it. (Had Leroy begged me?) That year instead of giving us candy we were given a beautiful poinsettia that I loved more with the passing days. Saved from chocolate by a flower! I had to like that.

Paula

No comments: