Monday, November 29, 2010

Gone and Back

Hello,

Thanksgiving day we set out for the long drive to Brian’s house with a degree caution and concern for the condition of the roads, but all was good. Evidence of ice started appearing as we were about three hours from home but no ice on the road. It was also noticeably colder as we were headed north. Then in about another hour snow was on the ground, but not on the road. By the time we got to Brian’s house the grass was hidden under the layer of snow.

We had made excellent time so were there in the early afternoon. Our greeting party of granddaughter and dog was exciting and welcoming. It must have been 8.9 on the Richter scale with shouts, jiggling and hugging for all. Such a gift to be treasured and savored.

There was some family talk about going to the sales on Friday, but instead we got our knives sharpened at a small shop that Brian knew about. He had suggested that we bring our knives so we did just that. On the way home from sharpening he had planned to stop at a store, but could not find a parking place so we just went back home.

Personally I found looking at the ads an overwhelming task. There were so many that it was difficult to keep my mind on what I might want. Most things I did not need. We do not buy many gifts as we give our granddaughters money for their college funds. It is our understanding that they get plenty of gifts from other sources. I have bought a small gift for each of them. This year we drew names for our children and their spouses so we are not getting many gifts there either. Leroy keeps saying, “I have not thought of anything for you.”

My reply is, “I have not even thought about getting you something.”

I would not mind if we did not get gifts for each other, but I think Leroy would be quite disappointed as he likes to open a surprise. Surprises are not my skill.

Paula

No comments: