Thursday, November 4, 2010

Outside Business

Hello,

Yesterday was the first day in this new place that I was occupied outside of the house for all segments of the day. In the morning I went and worked at the church library until it became too much of an emotional chore for all of us. It is hard when you do not really know what you are doing, but you do it anyway. This library has been neglected for some time, consequently there are many books around that are old and tired. Two others were working and leading this effort. Before this we had sorted many of the books into loose subject areas. Just as we got there yesterday I suggested that perhaps we should get rid of some reader’s digest collections from the 60’s and 70’s. Much to my surprise there was absolutely no argument with that plan. From them we moved on to other areas and ended up filling four or five boxes of discards. A part of me thinks almost all should go, but I am sure that will not happen. I can not imagine many of these books being checked out by anyone. Some of the books are of such a theological nature that mostly readers are people who are in seminary. Before we got done they said that there are two people in the congregation who want to donate some books to the space. Oh dear, how old do you suppose those books are?

In the afternoon I headed off to the circle meeting. All participants at this circle meeting are in the present moment, but they did not have a lesson because of some type of mix up. I was hoping for some good discussion, but it did not happen this time. Both of the circles here have Christmas luncheons rather than a lesson in December and they do not meet in January. Not much for me there for a while. Maybe I should start a book discussion group?

In the evening I went off to another church to help with a joint children’s meal. It was fun to see how that works. They provide a light meal, a story, music and craft activity for the children. In January Leroy and I will be doing the music session. After that I was too tired to think of writing something. Just reading the paper seemed like a fun activity.

Today Leroy had his first funeral here. He met the funeral director and an assistant. It seems that he likes to get acquainted with funeral home people. It is nice if they have a good working relationship.

Paula

No comments: