Sunday, May 9, 2010

Visitor and Bird Report

Hello,

Connections and reconnections are made continuously throughout life. For some reason I find this surprising. One of our friends from the first year we were in Slovakia came to visit. She is going to seminary in Iowa and came for the weekend. Most of the Americans in Slovakia changed every year so there were always new people to meet. Amazes me how many people have come into my life when I consider that I spent the first 18 years of my life in one place. We did not really know that many people as my parents were rather quiet people living on a farm five miles from town. In those days we did not go to town on a whim, there had to be a serious reason. I remember begging to go to the library when school was out for the summer because once I had books at home than I could count on going back as library books need to be returned.

Back to the visit, it was great as we caught up on changes, goals, and expectations in our lives. There is a world yet waiting to be encountered and enjoyed.

The rather large, large for the back yard, bird flew up into a crook of the tree where it teetered. Just what is that? But then it flopped out of sight behind a branch only to briefly swing back in view. The binoculars were not in my hand quick enough, but I think it was a duck. Then when it flew away the identity of a duck was surer. If Leroy had been there he could have been more authoritative. What duck would fly into a tree? Do wood ducks sit in trees? Why was this bird so far from water?

The robin parents are busy feeding babies who are growing rapidly. It won’t be long and they will be leaving that nest behind. I would like to film feeding time, but I need to be outside and that might make the elders nervous.

Paula

No comments: