Friday, May 21, 2010

Outside Work

Hello,

A friend’s fern stayed in a broken pot at our house for the winter. When it was warm enough to put it outside I transplanted it to a new but unfortunately not much bigger pot. She came today armed with two pots and we wrestled with the mass of roots to saw out three distinct pieces of plant, two for her and one for me. First we gently tried to pull it apart, followed that with stabbing with a spade and finally the wood saw did the trick. Hopefully it will all live in spite of being traumatized. Wait until Leroy sees that I kept some of it. Kary insisted that all three looked good when we were done, but I think that was a bit optimistic. However this poor fern will only hear encouragement from my lips.

I managed to talk her into taking some alyssum volunteers home. This is now the third person who has taken some and it still looks like the flower bed has not been touched. Maybe I will have to see if I can give some away at the garage sale. I just hate to pull them up and throw them away like a weed.

Earlier this week Leroy got rid of the robin’s nest, however this morning a robin was rebuilding. “I would like to leave it there,” I said.

Leroy rolled his eyes, but agreed as he often does about minor issues. Now in the evening I think the nest is done. It certainly went together in a hurry. Perhaps it is time to lay the second round of eggs and they did not expect to have to build another nest.

We have had plenty of rain in the last while. Cool weather was also the norm, after this it is to be in the 80’s. Such a radical change! I keep thinking I can wear summer clothes only to have to dig out some long sleeved item as well as put an extra blanket on the bed. But then I am just grateful that I have those items to dig out and put on. What a blessing! Have you been thankful for your clothes that cover you appropriately in all seasons?
Paula

No comments: