Monday, April 13, 2009

Ukrainian Potluck

Hello,

“Leroy, you forget,” I said when we got home, “the trick is to eat slowly because as soon as your plate is empty they want to fill it.”

Everything was delicious. We had cabbage rolls and some delicious sauerkraut. The blow through mind horseradish took us right back to the Slovak word for it that I can pronounce, but am not sure how to spell. Food words were important to know. Memory also gave us the words for onion and garlic. Pungent roots all. And then there was the word for cabbage. I could still get by at the market if I had to.

Leroy and I did not get up right away to get dessert so they kindly brought it to us. We each sampled several sweets, but there were still many things on the plate. “You can take it home,” they assured us.

“Oh good,” I said, “we will do that.”

But then it was back to the table to get us a plate of other items to bring home. That plate expanded to two plates before I could stop it from growing. “Monday or Tuesday night I will bring fresh eggs for you and a duck,” the pastor told us. “I will also bring a small bottle of my sauerkraut.”

Before she left, the pastor’s mother gave us each two chocolate candies. I do not shop for candy, but I will have to say that I have never seen any wrapped in a bright gold or red foil as these were. I wonder if someone in the old country sent the candy to her. It reminded me of some of the candy we would see at Christmas time in the stores in Slovakia.

I think we will not have to prepare any food for some time to come. Anyone want to come help us eat? My father especially liked duck consequently it was usually our Christmas meat. I have not cooked one myself. Or if I have I do not remember doing it. How can I keep experiencing new things after more than 60 years on this earth? Does it never end? How good it is.

Paula

No comments: