Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day in Court

Hello,

Sarah spent the afternoon and part of the evening at the meeting, not really court, about housekeeper/child care person’s complaints. In the end it was all resolved. Sarah says, “I feel so hurt by it because I thought we were treating her ok. For some reason she thinks I should find another job for her, but I can’t do that.”

“Did you learn anything from this?” I wanted to know.

“Yes,” she adamantly stated, “If I hire a worker in another country I must find out all of the rules and regulations.”

As it turned out the labor office had not been told that there was a contract involved that both Jane and the Padres had signed. That certainly made a difference in the outcome since Sarah had not deviated from the contract. She did add, “It would apparently have been better not to have fired her, but the lawyer recommended that action.”

On the home front, Alexandria has been sick. She has a runny nose, cough and low fever. She sat quietly with me for a bit of the day yesterday. In the evening her temp was about 100.5 F. Today Lexi has been busy all morning long. She still feels warm, seldom coughs, and the nose is still productive.

I am cleaning some, washing dishes, changing diapers, hanging out diapers, looking at magazines, and reading a little.

Kenyans can work very hard. I looked in the lot next door and saw five guys shoveling dirt into a big dump truck with a rack that was way over their heads. They would pull their shovels back for maximum upward thrust. Most of the dirt would go in the truck, but the sides were getting coated. Even though I could not see it, a pile must have been growing on the ground because one guy went closer to the truck. Another guy hardly ever tossed a shovelful. All around the world there are those who work less than others. Hard to think about how fast all of this would go with the proper machine, but then five guys would be out of a job.

We saw more manual labor in Slovakia, but after three years back in the US I had forgotten about it.

Paula

No comments: