Saturday, April 18, 2009

Duck is cooked

Hello,

The night before this dinner I dreamed so realistically that the duck had not been cleaned or gutted. The first thing on rising I went to the refrigerator and pulled it out. First I checked between the legs and noted with a sigh of relief that it had been cleaned on that end. Even though it has been years since I have plucked and cleaned a chicken I remember also taking the crop, gizzard, and other assorted unpleasantness from the front just under the neck. Uh-oh, no cleans hole here! I resolutely grabbed a knife and slit the skin. To my relief and joy it was quite clean. But it was a good thing I had checked on this bird because it still had ice crystals surrounding it. Later in the day I put it in some cold water to complete the defrosting.

I do not handle raw meat much any more and it was bit of a trick to grab a hold and not scare off this bird or me, but I got it done.

I put the duck in the roaster and let it cook. Now I was wondered if it was big enough when in the morning I was sure that it was too much. My memory of duck was of very greasy meat. This was the least fatty duck that I have ever seen. I am not sure if they chased it around the yard to build up muscle or what. We had enough duck with about two serving left over. I sent some home with one of the couples. I did not want to have too much left for Leroy.

I got the potato bread made in fine time. The woman who had bought it was not home when it was done so Leroy just zipped it over to her house while we were just finished with dessert. All the timing worked. The only thing was that I made far too many potatoes.

Paula

No comments: