Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bus and Plane

Hello,

Someone asked me if people on the bus smelled. I replied, “No, at least I did not notice it.”

This last time one of the people sitting in front of me did have some noticeable body odor, fortunately they got off in less than an hour.

On the plane someone in my vicinity kept passing smelly gas. It seemed to stop after a while, or I had just become immune to it by that time.

On the last plane I was seated between two men. They both took two armrests so I was without, but that was not a serious problem. It is strange to sit between strangers for eight hours. Not really my idea of a good time. That is when I missed Leroy. Walking around the airports is one way that I pass time while waiting for a flight, without Leroy or other travel companions that was more difficult because I like to leave my things and walk light and free. I just got up and walked in place as well as doing some more inconspicuous stretches.

Boarding has changed. No more calling rows and having the back fill first. People with children, anyone who might have trouble getting aboard, and first class went first. After that it was all the rest. There was such a big line that I waited awhile. I like to stand up as long as I can since the sit will be hours. I visited a bit with another woman who was more to the end of the line. She had such glistening white teeth that I suddenly became embarrassed about my not such pristine teeth. Smiling was of short duration and not as broad as usual. I felt like someone who has been chewing betel nuts and I needed to cover my mouth to hide the stains. I checked in the mirror here and my teeth do not look too bad.

In Amsterdam they still called rows, but I personally think most went ahead of that time. This was a 747 with two doors so they split us in the middle of the ramp to go to the front or back of the plane. I sat fairly close to the front next to the stairway to the upper level.

Expounding loudly was the providence of a man behind me. He hardly paused for breath. He talked about half an hour to forty-five minutes. While he was talking it seemed there were a lot of others talking with greater volume than usual. Perhaps they needed to talk loud to be heard or maybe they felt secure hiding behind his discourse. I am not sure what country he was from, but I do not think it was a European language that he was using. Generally it seems that Americans are the loud people, but this proves that someone else also shares the podium.

The people sitting directly behind me would get up frequently or just shift in their seat. I know this because they would use the back of my seat for balance or leverage. When I was awake that was not too disturbing, but it jostled me awake more than once. Sleeping on a plane is only done when tiredness demands that my brain revive a bit. So even to get 15 minutes is a lot of time. Surprisingly I was not tired when we got home at about 8:00, but of course that is noon for my internal clock. All in all I feel fairly good. Truly I got here with the minimum of fuss. No lost luggage, no missed flight, no delayed flights what could be easier? Matter transfer is what Leroy thinks we need.

Paula

No comments: