Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Hello,

The service went well this morning. Leroy is always happy when that happens. As part of his children’s sermon he compares an egg to the tomb, throws it up in the air, and smashes it between his hands as it comes down. That of course is to give the idea that the tomb is empty.

The first time Leroy tried this feature was in Missouri, Valley, IA when our children were fairly small. Leroy had never blown out an egg before. After numerous failed attempts involving egg yolk in places it did not belong and smashed shells he, with much grumbling, finally had a two shells that were intact. Easter morning he was gathering his things to put in the car. Four-year-old Sarah told Leroy she would put the eggs in the car. Leroy, grateful for any help gave them to her, picked up something more, raced out to the car, and got in only to realize that he had just sat on the eggs. At this point in our lives because we lived a mile from church and had only one car we all went together. I wanted to laugh, but did not dare considering the mood that Leroy was now in. “What will I do for a children’s sermon?” he wailed.

I do not remember how it turned out, but I am sure it was fine. Some other Sunday mornings we would race down the hill on the way to church and help Leroy think of children’s sermons. That is one thing that we missed when we only lived a block from church and no longer had to go together. Dad was on his own for those missing children’s messages. As always there are pluses and minuses.

This afternoon we are going to a potluck of the Ukrainians. I am sure it will be good, but I feel shy. Just going takes some courage on my part since I do not know many people there. I do not know how you extroverts do it.

Paula

No comments: