Sunday, September 5, 2021

Sabbath

Hello,

 

I say I do not believe in working on the Sabbath. Big words that are hard to stick to sometimes. Today it was not true. We had quite a few tomatoes in the house that needed attention. Last night we gave some away to a neighbor, but not all. I walked home from church past the garden. I stayed for a book club and Leroy came home ahead of me.

 

I could tell someone had picked many of the larger tomatoes as those vines looked a bit empty. There were some green beans and I saw a larger broccoli head. A fellow neighbor was there. He told me someone in a very nice truck had come and picked tomatoes yesterday. It is a bit of tension between the idea that the garden is for everyone, no questions and that it should be for those who cannot easily afford their food. We had talked to a neighbor and encouraged him to go to the garden. He has a nice truck, but lives in a very small house, so is he rich?

 

Leroy too had stopped by the garden and noticed the smaller tomatoes. We decided to go pick and then can tomatoes. As I picked up tomato vines, I kept finding more and more tomatoes. We picked and picked. There was a lot of small heads or shoots of broccoli, but I think no one picks it. We also picked enough green beans for at least two meals. On the way home we found one neighbor who took three tomatoes and no one else was out.

 

In the end we canned seven more quarts. Leroy declared, “Tomorrow is the Sabbath.”

 

Paula

No comments: