Monday, April 12, 2021

Saving the environment?

Hello,

 

We have not taken out the dead stems of plants and flowers from around the house. I have read that it is good to leave that stuff, which looks unusable to us, for the insects to take shelter in over the winter. It is not good to take it away too early in the spring as they need it until temperatures spend more time in the 50’s. Yesterday when we walked with friends, they walked past all of this dead looking plant material. I wondered what they thought and should I explain why it looks so unkempt? I said not a word and let them think what they pleased.

 

Today my library staff will have a team meeting. We will eat together since we have all, but one, been vaccinated and there are only six of us. We can still sit a distance apart. I bring my camping silverware and dishes so we do not use paper plates or “one use” plastic silverware. Those camp items are quite portable and if I lose one it is not such a big deal. I also bring cloth napkins because we do not need to use paper. We always use cloth napkins at home, some were homemade and some I bought at garage sales. Some sets have only three. Probably some were damaged beyond one person’s idea of usefulness. One of my colleagues almost always makes some comment about being fancy, especially when she sees the napkins. I have told her more than once that I like to use them to stop waste, but she does not seem to remember that. Little does she know “how not fancy” I am.

 

It is not a big deal to bring all the items home to wash. Could that be because Leroy often does the dishes at night and he waits on Mondays until I come home after 8:00pm? He tells me it is ok to add to the total, but I have told him more than once that I would be happy to wash. Washing dishes is one of my favorite household chores so I am happy to have no mechanical dishwasher.

 

Paula

No comments: