Friday, April 30, 2021

Garden Kale for supper

Hello,

 

I went to the old community garden this afternoon and picked a nice amount of volunteer Red Russian Kale which went into a stir fry. We added winter onions picked from our front garden as well as some garlic chives. Oh, I forgot I also picked some cilantro in the old community garden. It was all quite fine. Leroy pronounced it good.

 

We need rain. I am not sure when I will be able to pick more kale if it does not rain soon. That garden space is not easy to water.

 

We have also used some oregano that has come back close to the house as well as onion chives. I love getting all these greens. I might even get back to that old community garden and harvest some dandelion greens which seem to be doing quite well.

 

I love getting the early spring greens. I even miss the lamb’s quarters as I now have no source for that.

 

For some reason our mint is quite slow. Maybe it always is and we just forget, but we cannot yet get enough to make tea. Right next to it a dianthus plant is blooming nicely and I think it is early.

 

We are enjoying a pair of birds go in and out of a hole in the tree in the neighbor’s yard. It is right at eye level for us. I was also pleased when I picked up trash around the block to see four parts of bird’s egg shells. Those babies are growing.

 

Paula

No comments: