Saturday, July 4, 2020

Independence Day


Hello,

Activities were certainly different this morning. Leroy went out picking black raspberries while I walked closer to home. After a bit of walking, I decided to pick up trash around our block. Because of mowing lawns there are usually fewer items that need to be moved off the edge. I managed to get the total in one bag from the grocery store. I feel good about that. Leroy came back with a smaller number of berries. Perhaps yesterday I had almost covered the entire space even though I felt that I had left some. He also reported that in the small patches along the trail there was another couple picking berries so he just walked on by.

After resting and eating breakfast we headed out to pick up donated items for a food pantry. An eagle scout in our congregation is doing this for a project. Leroy volunteered to help pick up the donations. We took quite a while doing that. We started a little later than the first possibility. Then I had to go to the bathroom. What a bother!  On the two lane highway we followed some bicyclists. I was driving and did not feel comfortable passing them on two rolling hills. I did not pay attention to distance, but I suspect the first stop was 15 miles away. They had not gotten their items out so we had to wait while they gathered them. Luckily Leroy had checked the addresses and directions on line before we left home because his phone had no service in this area. Then it was on to another small town where we did two more pickups. All was going well. Grateful for that list and directions as all of this places were on winding, convoluted streets or roads. The last place was in Cedar Rapids, but on the west side where we seldom go. Finally Leroy’s phone had service so we could follow the lady’s voice.

We think this was a good way to celebrate Independence Day, helping others and looking at the tall corn.

Paula

No comments: