Thursday, July 30, 2020

How Connected?


Hello,

I did zoom tai chi this morning and all was good. I was to do reading support for an hour and a half, and the internet was down. Where did that connectivity go in just half a day? I rebooted the modem two times. Once I thought maybe a little fast so the second time I slowly counted to ten while it was unplugged. I did not have the phone number of the people I ws to listen too. I called my boss instead, luckily the cell phone still works and I have her number in my phone. She was not in town so she could not immediately access that phone number. She got there before I was finished struggling with the possibilities. Even though I did not think it would make a difference I rebooted the laptop, all to no avail. There was another person working at the library so she took over my job.

As with many things in life there are alternative ways of doing things if we just consider them. Sometimes it is good to think outside of the box, whatever the box is.

I am grateful that the power seldom goes off in my life. That could apply to all sorts of power. When I was growing up electric power outages seemed to happen from time to time. Often it was evening or would last until evening, time to get out the oil lamps. I could not imagine how my parents had grown up with no electricity. My mother was a voracious reader and she read books in the light of the kerosene lamps. Is that the right name for those lamps? Leroy is not home for me to ask and I cannot look it up. Happy that word processing is on the laptop and I do not need the Internet for that. Do my grandchildren wonder how we lived before the Internet? We were in such a bubble of knowledge ignorance. Is ignorance still with us?

Paula

July 30, 2020
Our phone wire was cut that carries the internet so we are without a phone until we get our new service, which we had ordered before this, until August 15. We still can use our cell phones.

No comments: