Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Berry Picking


Hello,

Leroy and I have gone black raspberry picking three times now. We have never picked at this patch before. Perhaps it was not here, as those wild berries seem to move around. This area is across the road from the bike trail where no one mows. We are so grateful for that. It is close enough that we can walk without too much trouble.

This morning Leroy went out by himself because we were both going to work early in the morning. I thought he was taking quite a bit of time. When he got back he told me that he had fallen on this steep side hill after he became entangled in the long grass. The falling thought had crossed my mind and I was considering what to do about it when I thought I would give him five more minutes. He did not get hurt, but he had to pick up a lot of berries.

He still brought home a nice amount. I went back this afternoon after I came home from work. I brought home even more. Made me wonder where he had picked. Can they ripen so much in a day that I would believe I was the first to be there?

We are still picking mulberries, but not so many of them. The tree that has the most is so tall that we cannot reach the best of them. We do not want to drag a ladder that far away. We like the raspberries better than the mulberries, but like our rhubarb/mulberry crisp. Brian brought us a nice amount of rhubarb so we are all set.

My hours at work have changed and spread out so I work four days a week, but shorter times. This means not many of us are at the building at the same time. We are in two teams so we work with the same two people all of the time and do not see the other team. We are hoping that keeps us safer. We still wear masks and use hand sanitizer as well as frequent wiping of surfaces. Hand washing is also in the mix.

Paula

No comments: