Sunday, July 5, 2020

Early morning bike ride


Hello,

Leroy and I left the house at 6:00 am for a “beat the heat” bike ride. It was a pleasant 70 degrees F. With the breeze created by riding it was lovely. We rode on the new wider sidewalk along the street to the close lake. Only one section was not finished and we could easily ride on the street for that bit, especially with no traffic. At the lake it was a bit of a trick to ride through the congregated geese. I suspect there were 100-200 of them mostly on the trail. We rode very slowly and they gradually got out of the way. One couple had with them some younger geese. The elders hissed at us. I was happy they did not attack. On our return trip I thought the geese had gone for the day, but they had just moved around the bend to a new spot. Leroy was ahead of me this time and as he went through these birds he barked and made other strange noises to encourage them to give way. They rather reluctantly moved aside for us. I was pleased there was not so much goose poop on the trail, but Leroy’s tire managed to fling some of it up on the lower part of his water bottle. Unfortunately he did not notice it until he put his hand on it. Bossy me, I insisted that he wash the poop off before he came in the house. He complied, but I suspect he was in agreement with the idea of no goose poop in the house.

There were other people out this early in the morning. We saw, in the seven or more miles we traveled, ten or fifteen riders and four-ten walkers. I suspect others wanted to be out while it was so cool.

The only problem with the bike ride is that I do not accumulate steps for all of this distance. As the temperatures soared into the 90’s I was less inclined to go walking.

Paula

No comments: