Friday, June 9, 2017

Walking miles

Hello,

Between walking the dog and running around in the backyard with the kids Leroy and I both put a lot of steps on our devices. Guess we could use some smaller people to keep us moving more. Much of the time we were all together as a group, but from time to time we had to split up as Leroy took Logan to baseball picture taking time while I attended a Girl Scout potluck with Sophia. For this shy person it was great to have someone at the potluck who had met me one winter day on a walk in the park. She remembered me because I taught her, and her daughter, about Pooh sticks. She commented that they still do it once in a while. We learned we also had some eating ideas and book taste in common. It was good to talk with her.

On Saturday afternoon we headed off to a Cub Scout camp out, but we slept at home. There was a full day of activities. During some of the time, Leroy and I were free to be on our own. It was not really free time, rather I went to the pit toilet and when I came back the group, except Leroy, had moved on, but no one could direct us to the location. It seemed like a good idea to hike a trail. The trail was easy and the view was of close vegetation and an almost stagnant pond. Later as we were watching another activity, Leroy said, “I just found a tick. Would you check my back?”

I found two brown ticks that were easy to spot on his white shirt. With more inspection I found four more. He also found at least two more. Leroy seems to be a tick magnet. He only found one on me. But we both developed a creepy crawly feeling that was hard to shake.

The rocket shoot off was more spectacular than I had expected. Logan’s rocket had a nice flight even though one of the wings broke off. But that seemed to be a fairly common occurrence.

We had not thought to bring Logan’s scout shirt that every other kid wore to the campfire and award ceremony. Perhaps when he was one of two beginning kids there, it could be excused. Also his parents were not in attendance so people might think it is just grandparents who do not know what they are doing.

I had thought we would be home earlier in the evening. However, it was about ten when we got home. The mandatory tick check took a bit of time as did the bath or shower. The amount of dirt collected was considerable so it took a bit of attention to detail to remove it. Thank God for water in the tap. If we had stayed at the camp (We had not signed up to do that.) the dirt would have remained until noon the next day. Clean felt so good.

It was nice to share these experiences with the kids. Certainly not something I would ordinarily do.


Paula

No comments: